Domestic Violence Resources
- The Spectrum of Relationships: Healthy, Unhealthy, and Abusive
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline is an exhaustive source of information.
- What is Domestic Violence? (It can be emotional abuse, financial abuse, digital abuse, reproductive coercion, physical abuse, and sexual abuse and coercion.)
- Behind the Screens: How to Maximize Online Privacy
- NYS Domestic & Sexual Violence Hotline 2017 Data
- Consequences of Intimate Partner Violence — CDC
- Path to Safety
- Why Do People Abuse? and Who Can Be in an Abusive Relationship?
- How an Abusive Partner’s “Good” Behavior is Part of the Act
- Why do victims make excuses for their partner's abusive behavior?
- Pregnancy & Abuse
- How can you help a friend or family member
- Intimate Partner Violence (Infographic)
- Through their eyes - Domestic Violence and Its Impact on Children. Booklet with heartbreaking drawings by children — PDF of 38 pages
- Frequently Asked Questions about Domestic Violence
- Domestic Violence - Finding Safety and Support: Safety Planning, Children’s Services, Support Groups, Shelter, the Police & Courts, Orders of Protection, Legal Assistance, How To Help — Booklet of 88 pages
Free 24/7 hotlines that any affected or concerned person can call for non-judgmental and empathetic listening, guidance, and all-round support.
- Equinox (Albany County) 518-432-7865
- Unity House (Rensselaer County) 518-272-2370
- Wellspring (Saratoga County) 518-584-8188
- YWCA (Schenectady County) 518-374-3394
- New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence 1-800-942-6906
- US National Hotline 1-800-799-7233
- Why Does He Do That - Inside the Minds of Angry and Abusive Men by Lundy Bancroft, a textbook on abusers.
- Getting Free: You Can End Abuse and Take Back Your Life by Ginny NiCarthy
- Family and Friends' Guide to Domestic Violence: How to Listen, Talk and Take Action When Someone You Care About is Being Abused by Elaine Weiss
Short Films on YouTube
- Escape - English (UK) 14 minutes
- The beginning of the end - English (India) 11 Minutes
- The mirror English (US) 2 minutes
For more films search YouTube for "Domestic violence short film."
Select books on healthy communication, healthy confrontation, and healthy relationships are listed below with the titles of the books under the author's name. Most of these books (used books in good condition) are available at our office for anyone to buy at cost price ($4 – $12). They can be returned at any time for a full refund. Online summaries of each book can be seen by clicking on the book title.
Marshall B. Rosenberg
Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk — 20th edition.
- How to Talk So Teens Will Listen
Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, and Al Switzler
- Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High
- Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
- The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts - Amazon Reviews
- Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You
- Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life
- Toxic In-Laws: Loving Strategies for Protecting Your Marriage
Harriet B. Braiker
- 30 Lessons for Loving: Advice from the Wisest Americans on Love, Relationships, and Marriage — Top 10 Lessons
- 30 Lessons for Living: Tried and True Advice from the Wisest Americans